Tuesday 5 November 2013

Device 6: One of the best games iOS has to offer.... at the moment

Are you looking for an interactive puzzle game with a hint of creepiness? If yes, then Device 6 is the game for you.

After recently giving up hope on the iOS gaming world, I was pleasantly surprised to find a game that oozes originality and style. 


Device 6 was developed by Simogo and released on October 17th, it had a similar feel to their previous release, Year Walk.

I stumbled across this slice of brilliance by accident, through a YouTube video. I was shocked that it hadn't made it into the popular apps, and how little recognition it had received. 

Anna wakes up in a castle with no recollection of how she got there, the main aim is to escape. Device 6 intellectually combines literature with the conventions of modern gaming; the words are your map and key to completing the puzzle. 
















Device 6 had me at first glance, it was completely immersive and intelligent I couldn't bring myself to put the game down until I had finished it. I sat in a dark, silent room aimlessly twisting and turning my iPad until the early morning hours.

The game is split up into six sections all with different puzzles to work out, hints are hidden throughout the interactive book, you have to read behind the lines to find the correct answers to progress further into the plot.

The game was released on two different gaming platforms, the iPhone and the iPad, but 
in my opinion, I don't think the iPhone would have given the game justice, it is a game better saved for the iPad.  

It is an ingenious app that successfully demonstrates exactly what the iPad has to offer. It’s a story, but one that takes advantage of sound and visuals all together on a touchscreen device, creating a perfect blend of sensory magic. 

Unfortunately, similar to everything that exists, there are pitfalls and for me the story just didn't seem strong enough. However, the developers definitely gain brownie points for presentation, style and originality. 

So go ahead and download the game, it is worth the £2.49 ($3.99) price stamp, even if it is only for three hours of gameplay.

I give the game a 9/10, just remember it's the quality that matters, not the quantity. 

Follow me on twitter :lauraanneash
Email me: laura.anne.ash@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment